Saturday, June 11, 2005

Discovery at Little Hog Island, Part 41

Part 1, Part 40

“When you said food and drinks were waiting at home, I pictured a yuppie palace, the way you were talking. I wasn’t expecting this.”

“No, the Roseate is no yuppie palace, but she is lean and acrobatic as a tern and handles like a dream. She’s small, but I think you’ll find her comfortable.”

“You live here?”

“When Hal and I split up, he took the house and I took the Roseate and I’ve never regretted it.”

“Harlan, Harlan Harrison. You married Harlan.”

“Yes. He was a very handsome boy, the tall dark stranger type. Just the opposite of Billy Owens.”

“You had a crush on Billy.”

“We all did.” She opened a drawer under the counter. “Look, our yearbook. The Outcrop. 1964. That was a long time ago. Here’s Billy, here’s Harlan, I have post-its marking the places.”

“‘Billy, the most likely to drown at sea.’ What the heck is this? Was this taken after is death? This is sick.”

Part 42

No comments: